What Employers Need To Know About The Swine Flu (H1N1). Do You Have A Plan?
With the CDC’s recent elevation of the pandemic alert to Level 5 for Swine Flu, employers should be prepared to consider the following issues:
- Human resources should maintain current knowledge about the extent of swine flu outbreaks. These websites are updated daily: www.pandemicflu.gov and www.cdc.gov/swineflu/
- Employers should advise employees how to counter potential outbreaks. Post checklists about good health practices in the workplace.
- Remind employees to see a physician promptly if they develop symptoms.
- Advise employees to say home if they believe they have the flu. Employers may consider whether to require employees to remain at home.
- Update FMLA and other medical leave policies. Be familiar with the policies.
- Prepare to respond to an employee’s request if employee refuses to come to work.
- Be prudent and confidential about disclosing health information about an employee who may have the flu. Follow HIPAA rules.
Advertisement: This information is for general purposes only and is not intended to constitute any specific legal advice of any type.